Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Predictable Routines
In today's class discussion, someone commented on predictable routines. Last week I had a PPT and a parent commented that the daily routine in my room seemed "chaotic" to her because there were many transitions. I agreed that there are many points of transition but I always felt my routines were well established, consistent, and beneficial because many of my students need frequent breaks or physical movement between activities to help re-focus attention (my theory? as discussed by Garcia). After discussing the routines and the ways that I mark the changing of activities, it was decided that I could help this student by posting a daily schedule on his desk or in his locker (his schedule is somewhat different because of the services he receives). It was also decided that this child may be ready to have some choice about whether or not he should stay in the classroom or be pulled out for services. He gets pulled often by the special ed teacher, the occupational therapist, or the speech/language teacher. There are times that this student feels he is on a roll in the classroom setting and does not want to leave to work with another teacher. I hope that by posting a schedule, providing some choice, and being more aware of the number of transitions, I can help not only this child but I can be more responsive to all students (5R's and a T).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment